Couple's Intensives Art and Science of Love -Gottman
Ask Yourself: Is this Couple's Weekend Retreat right for you? Many of our couples can answer yes to one or more of the following:
- Are we stuck in the same argument over and over (most couples have the same argument their entire marriage!)?
- Am I unsatisfied and long for more?
- Could we use tools and insights to help move through conflict more easily and quickly?
- Could my relationship benefit from a deeper connection?
- Do I feel resentful, frustrated, angry or discouraged in your relationship?
- Could we have more fun in our relationship?
- Has there been a recent betrayal, large or small?
- Do we wish you could communicate with each other more effectively?
- Do we have a good relationship but want to take it to the next level?
- Are we long overdue for a weekend to solely focus on your love?
- Am I ready to see my relationship grow toward the potential I know is there?
2-Day Couple's Weekend Retreat
- The 2-day Retreat Weekend is our standard and most sought after weekend. In all, this option spends nearly an entire day immersed in research-based and evidenced-based assessment processes (primarily the Gottman Method) and sets aside more than one full day for active counseling. That's 6+ months of counseling in one weekend!
Upcoming Dates Available
February 2018 Friday Feb.16-17 or Saturday Feb. 17-18 (Booked)
March 2018 Friday March 9-10 or Saturday March 10-11 (Booked)
June 2018 Friday June 1-2 or Saturday June 2-3
September 2018 Friday Sept 28-29 or Saturday Sept 29-30
- 2-Day Intensive Weekend Retreat Pricing
The 2-Day Intensive Couple's Weekend Retreat costs $2,100. This price includes:
- An entire weekend with a Certified Gottman Therapist
- All travel costs for couples within 45 miles of Baltimore MD
- Home-Based sessions for added convenience and privacy. Office-Based sessions may be available.
- 45 minute Initial Meeting (approx. 1-month prior to your intensive)
- 45 minute Check-In Appointment (approx. 4-6 weeks after your intensive)
- Industry leading assessment - including the 4-6 hours of devoted time your therapist spends analyzing and interpreting the results
- An in-person assessment process based on over 40 years of real science and evaluation of 3,000+ couples
- 2-days of immersive couples therapy (Saturday & Sunday) 0r (Friday & Saturday $50.00 off)
- Peace of mind knowing that you have committed to better understand your relationship and to begin to build a more positive future.
Weekend Retreat Sample Schedule
30-45-min Initial Session (included)
2-4 Weeks Before
This online (or in-home) session is used to finalize documents, weekend schedule, location, and assessments and to answer any lingering questions you may have.
9:00 am – 10:00 am
10:00 am – 12:00 pm
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm
1:30 pm – 2:45 pm
Strength & Growth areas
3:00 pm – 4:30 pm
The real work begins.
First Day Wrap-up
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Your customized therapy continues.
Most couples can't believe how fast the weekend passes and how much we fit into one weekend. This is done by using less stressful techniques, focusing on building (instead of only dwelling on past failures), and promoting a sense of togetherness: empowering you as the 'couple' to overcome anything.
45-min Follow-Up Session (included)
4-8 Weeks Later
To solidify the work you completed, this online session reinforces what you learned and strengthens areas you notice any struggling with.
Frequently Asked Questions: Intensives
- What is the difference between a 'retreat' and an 'intensive' weekend?
- What are Couples Retreats?
- Why have I never heard of Couples Retreats?
- What situations are appropriate for a Couples Retreat?
- What situations are not appropriate for a Couples Retreat (contraindications)?
- What are the advantages of a Couples Retreat?
- How do I schedule an Intensive?
- Do you offer payment plans or discounts?
- Do you offer different Retreat options?
What is the difference between a 'retreat' and an 'intensive' weekend?
There is no differnce. The terms 'retreat,' 'intensive,' and 'marathon' are often interchangeable. All condense a large amount of counseling into a short amount of time.
What are Couples Retreat?
The standard approach to couples therapy usually involves 2-4 appointments a month, typically a week or two apart. While this is a time-tested method, it isn’t right for every situation. A “Couples Retreat” takes the hours of couples counseling that would usually occur over a 4-6 month period and places them in the context of a much smaller period of time: 2-3 days.
Why have I never heard of Couples Retreats?
Couples Retreats are gaining popularity as marriage counseling becomes a higher priority in society and research, and as couples are beginning to become more aware of the option of retreats. Largely popular on the East and West coast, weekend retreats are beginning to make their way toward the Midwest. Research shows that couples counseling is more effective when the couples is able to more deeply engage. This level of engagement is best met in intensive format. Standard weekly sessions often fall short of this due to time constraints, however, a weekend retreat allows the couple to fully engage and take their time, without being rushed.
What situations are appropriate for a Couples Retreat?
Couples Retreats can be the approach when there are long-term issues that have not responded well to once-a-week marriage counseling. Retreats are sometimes used when there has been a profound breach of trust in a marriage, when partners are feeling stuck with no option but to divorce, or when a relationship has plateaued and feels stagnant. Intensives can also be appropriate simply for couples who want to counsel with Kathleen and are coming from out of town.
What situations are not appropriate for a Couples Retreats (contraindications)?
While couples Retreats are appropriate for most clients, the retreat process works best for couples who are not in:
- undisclosed, or ongoing affairs;
- suffering from a current active addiction;
- have ongoing violence or threats of violence by either spouse;
- or suffer from a mental illness that isn’t being treated.
- This particularly includes suicidal or homicidal thoughts, or a history of serious harm you’ve done to yourself or another person.
If you have a mental condition or addiction that is currently stable and/or in remission, you are welcome to participate in the form of treatment.
What are the advantages of a Couples Retreat?
Once a week couples counseling is sometimes unable to penetrate the issues in a relationship, simply due to time frame. The typical counseling session is 75 minutes long. It takes a few minutes to get going, and there are business issues such as re-scheduling and payment. 75 minutes can quickly become 65-70 minutes of actual therapy. To get deep into a subject, define the problem, uncover feelings, clarify, and problem solve can be difficult to do in that period of time. The Couples Retreat approach creates an unusually focused time, when you can get deep and stay there, allowing for clarification of problems, development of understanding between a couple, and focused problem solving with skill training.
Here is a brief list of some of the vast benefits of scheduling a Couple's Retreat:
- You’re not going to hear the counselor say “time’s up!” when you are just getting to the important stuff.
- Scheduling is often more convenient – miss less work with weekend intensives vs. weekday appointments.
- Your counselor is focused solely on you and your partner. A typical hourly counselor may have 8 appointments in one day. During the intensive, the counselor is focused completely on you, no distractions of upcoming sessions or time management.
- A retreat shrinks nearly 6 months of weekly counseling into one weekend – imagine all you can work through together in that amount of time.
How do I schedule a retreat?
Simply contact me to inquire about pricing, scheduling and more or to check availability and book now. Call Katleen at 410-627-0678
www.kathleenmhorrigan.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you offer payment plans or discounts?
When booking a retreat, payment is due in full at the time you book your reservation in order to secure your weekend. In lieu of payment plans, we offer 10% off for cash/check payments made in full. For payment, cancellation, and refund policies, refer to our Policy Information via email. To book with the Cash Payment discount, email: email@example.com for more informaiton.
Kathleen is proud to support our Active Duty Military & Veterans. Save an additional 10% off your reservation of an Intensive Weekend. Military and Cash Discounts may be combined.
Mental Health Professionals:
If you are working in the mental health field as an associate licensed or fully licensed professional, you can an additional 10% off your weekend registration. You will be asked to provide your license number for verification. Student/Interns can email firstname.lastname@example.org for discount options. Professional and Cash Discounts may be combined.
Molding future generations is no easy task. To show our appreciation, save an additional 10% off your retreat registration. Educator and Cash Discounts may be combined.
Members of the Clergy can also save 10% off your retreat registration. Clergy and Cash Discounts may be combined.
Do you offer alternative options for retreats?
Based on research and practice, the 2-Day Weekend Retreat is the most efficient Retreat Weekend option based on therapeutic outcomes, time and cost. However, for some couples who desire more/less time, we have multiple options. Contact Kathleen directly to inquire about pricing, scheduling, and to see if you qualify for one of the following options:
- 2.5-Day Intensive (Fri pm/Sat/Sun)
- 3-Day Intensive (Fri/Sat/Sun -or- Sat/Sun/Mon)
- 3 to 5 Day Destination Intensive (bring the intensive to you in your home town or favorite vacation spot. Some limitations apply).
We have also developed a 1 day option called Mini-Marathon. This is a one full day consisting of 2- 2 1/2 hours sessions with a lunch break at $1,250. (Includes the price of the asessment).